Technical Artist (Junior/Graduate)
Location : Spa,Warwickshire
Role Overview – Technical Artist (Junior/Graduate)
SEGA HARDlight is looking for a Junior or Graduate technical artist to join our talented and collaborative team. This is a great opportunity to level up while working on our current and future projects. This position could also apply to someone already in games wanting to move sideways into the technical art role.
You will already have a good understanding and enjoyment of the technical processes involved in game development and an eye for aesthetics. We’ll help mentor and support you as you learn but you’ll need to be eager to learn and not afraid to jump in and figure things out.
- Support the art team across our projects by implementing art, animations, and effects in the game engine
- Develop and implement a wide variety of game shaders, visual effects, and art tools
- Collaborate with the game teams to solve technical challenges to ensure the art looks the best it can while maintaining game performance
- Help create and document efficient pipelines for the art team and pro-actively seek improvements
- Evaluate new software and new art authoring techniques and keep abreast of new features in the engine
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of industry 2D and 3D art packages – Photoshop and 3DS Max / Maya / Blender
- Experience of writing shader code using HLSL
- Experience of working with Unity or similar game engines
- Experience of creating particle systems
- Proactive in learning new skills and tools
- Focused on quality and happy to iterate to achieve the best art
- A portfolio demonstrating your work is vital
- Programming or scripting experience in languages such as Python and C# and a desire you learn more
- Knowledge of character rigging and skinning
- Experience in scripting art tools in 3DS Max or Maya using Maxscript/Python/MEL
- Experience of creating art assets for mobile, PC or console games
- A desire and an understanding of how to optimize games content for memory and performance while maintaining visual quality
- A good eye for visuals and aesthetics
- Diligent and able to self-manage with a can-do attitude
- Experience of lighting and light-mapping environments
Why work at HARDlight?
- You’ll have access to a comprehensive benefits package that includes ULEV car salary sacrifice, life assurance, income protection, private healthcare & dental insurance schemes and an enhanced contributory pension scheme
- We offer competitive salaries and a fantastic bonus scheme so that you can stay motivated and focused on making HARDlight the best it can be
- For gaming buffs, we offer free SEGA games on Steam and a home technology scheme
- Fitness fanatics will love our discounted gym membership and ride-to-work scheme. You can find your zen with weekly yoga classes as well as in-house massage therapy
- We pride ourselves on having flexible working hours to help work fit around you
- The opportunity to be a large part of a small team, developing innovative titles with a huge SEGA back catalogue
- Based in the ‘Heart of England’ in stunning historic Royal Leamington Spa, with great connections to London & Birmingham
- We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. All applicants are welcome!
The role will initially be remote, as we have not returned to the office yet. The expectation is that when we do return to the office, we will be taking a hybrid working approach and you will be expected to work 3 days in the office with the option of 2 days out of the office.